- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 750g frozen peas
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 2 x 200g unsmoked gammon steaks, fat trimmed
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives, plus extra to garnish
- 4 tsp reduced-fat cream
- Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for 10 minutes or until softened but not coloured.
- Stir in the peas and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add gammon steaks and simmer for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Lift out gammon and set aside on a board. Blend soup until completely smooth. (Do it in batches, if necessary.) Meanwhile, shred gammon into fine pieces, discarding any fat.
- Return soup to the pan. Reheat. Add shredded gammon and chives. Check seasoning. Divide among four warmed soup bowls and garnish with reduced-fat cream, extra chives and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with crusty bread.
EACH SERVING: 1 583kJ, 21g fat (8g saturated), 21g carbohydrate (7g total sugars).
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter