- 2 spiced sausages
- 1 cup thinly sliced shitake or brown mushroom caps
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced white mushroom
- ¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- ¾ cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- ½ cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 450g pizza dough (buy fresh dough from your local pizzeria, or use a good pre-prepared base)
- Divide dough into 4 balls; cover loosely with cling wrap. Remove one ball at a time; transfer to a large baking sheet and gently pat and stretch dough to form a 1cm-thick free-form shape, as desired. Repeat.
- Gently lift dough and lay flat on grill or braai. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until puffed and dough releases easily from grill or braai. Carefully turn crusts over.
- In a large skillet, cook 2 spiced sausages for 10 minutes or until cooked, slice into rounds (or slice a small salami into rounds). Add 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake or brown mushroom caps and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and browned, stirring. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup thinly sliced white mushrooms.
- Shape and cook dough as at left, topping crusts wit ¼ cup crushed tomatoes, then ¾ cup shredded Pecorino Romano cheese, ½ cup sliced roasted red peppers, and sliced sausage or salami.
Each Serving About 2 533kJ, 29g protein, 61g carbohydrate, 28g total fat (11g saturated), 2g fibre, 73mg cholesterol, 1 495mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter