- 12 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- oil, for brushing
FOR THE TERRINE
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 150g dried apricots, finely chopped
- 300g pork tenderloin, trimmed and chopped into 1cm chunks
- 450g herb sausages, skinned
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- small bunch sage, finely chopped 50g whole shelled pistachios
- 1⁄2 tsp nutmeg
- zest of 1 orange
- loaf of sourdough, sliced chutney
- Heat oven to 170°C. On a board, stretch out each bacon rasher with the back of a knife. Brush a 900g loaf tin or terrine mould with oil. Line it with overlapping bacon slices, pushing into sides and corners. Leave excess hanging over edge. Cut remaining slices in half; use to line ends of tin.
- In a small pan, bring brandy and apricots to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside to cool briefly. In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining terrine ingredients with the boozy apricots and season well with salt. Fill lined mould with the mixture, pressing it down well into corners. Fold any overhanging bacon over the top to cover. Press down to level so it sits flat on the plate when turned out later.
- Lightly oil a small sheet of aluminium foil and press on top of the loaf tin. Wrap loaf tin in another layer of foil, then put into a roasting tin. Half fill with boiling water. Cook in oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until a metal skewer comes out piping hot from the centre. Remove from water and unwrap, keeping oiled foil in place. Leave to cool completely and chill overnight, placing a few tins on top to press down on the terrine.
- To remove terrine, dip the tin or mould into a bowl of very hot water for 10 seconds and invert onto a board or plate. Scrape off and discard the jelly that has formed around it. Serve cold or, to brown and eat warm, preheat oven to 200°C and cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Enjoy with slices of sourdough bread and chutney.
GET AHEAD This terrine is totally make- ahead. If serving cold, remove from the fridge 30 minutes before eating.
Each Serving About 1 470kJ, 23g fat (7g saturated), 10g carbohydrate (8g total sugars), 23g protein, 2g fibre.