- salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp margarine or butter
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 450g gemelli
- 450g shelled and deveined prawns with tails left on, if you like
- 450g small broccoli florets
- Put water on to boil in a medium to large pot. Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- In a 30cm frying pan, melt ½ tablespoon of margarine or butter on medium-high. Add breadcrumbs and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Stir in a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Transfer to a plate.
- ln the same pan, melt 2 tablespoons of margarine or butter on medium. Stir in onions and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until golden and very tender, stirring occasionally. Add prawns and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water in pot. Cook for 4 minutes less than minimum time on instructions, stirring occasionally. Add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain pasta mixture and return to pot.
- Add onion-and-prawn mixture, reserved cooking water, ½ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground black pepper and remaining ½ tablespoon of margarine or butter. Cook on medium for 2 minutes, tossing to coat. To serve, top with reserved toasted breadcrumbs.
Each serving: About 1 910kJ, 26g protein, 72g carbohydrate, 8g total fat (2g saturated), 7g fibre, 112mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter