Recipe IngredientsFOR THE SPONGE
- oil, to grease
- 75g caster sugar, plus 1 tsp
- 50g cake flour, plus 1 tsp
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
- 125g raspberries
- 4 tbsp no-added-sugar jam
- 1 large egg white
- 40g caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Lightly grease the base and sides of a 4cm deep, 20cm-diameter round loose-bottomed cake tin. Line the base with baking paper. Dust the sides of the tin first with the 1 tsp sugar (tap out any excess), followed by the 1 tsp flour (tap out any excess).
- For the sponge: in a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water, beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla extract with an electric whisk for 5 minutes until pale and thick – beaters should leave a trail on the surface when lifted. Remove bowl from heat and whisk for a further 5 minutes until cool. Wash the beaters.
- Sift over the flour and baking powder, and fold in with a metal spoon, retaining as much volume as possible. Pour into the prepared cake tin and gently tilt to spread mixture into an even layer. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until risen and firm to the touch. Remove from oven and, keeping in the tin, transfer to a wire rack. (The cake will shrink from the edge.)
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, gently mix the raspberries with the jam. Set aside. Put the egg white into a separate medium grease- free bowl and whisk with the clean electric beaters until stiff but not dry. Gradually add the caster sugar, whisking back up to stiff peaks after each addition, until thick and glossy. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a 1cm star nozzle.
- Preheat grill to medium. Pile the raspberry mixture onto the sponge (still in its tin), leaving a 5cm border around the edge. Pipe the meringue in peaks on the exposed border of the sponge. Grill for 2 minutes until golden.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes before running a palette knife around the edge to release the cake. Transfer to a cake stand, discarding the baking paper. Serve immediately.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter