- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cup mashed ripe bananas (from 4 medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Lightly coat a 20cm by 12cm loaf tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, bicarb, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, with the mixer on a medium-high speed, beat sugar, egg whites and egg until almost doubled in volume. On a medium speed, beat in the bananas, buttermilk and oil until well combined.
- With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin, smoothing the top. Bake for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from tin and let it cool completely on the wire rack. The banana bread can be stored, tightly wrapped, at room temperature for up to 3 days, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Each Serving About 714kJ, 4g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 4g total fat (1g saturated), 4g fibre, 16mg cholesterol, 220mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter