- 350g whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 350g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 small onion (120g to 170g), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (800g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (410g) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (60g) Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
1. Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Cook spaghetti according to instructions on label.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium pot, heat oil on medium- high. Add mince, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring and breaking up beef with a wooden spoon. Add chilli powder, cocoa, sugar, cinnamon, cumin and 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes.
3. Heat to simmering. Simmer for 8 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in beans. Simmer for 2 minutes or until beans are heated through.
4. Drain spaghetti. Divide among 4 serving plates. Top with chilli, Cheddar and spring onions.
Each Serving About 2 625kJ, 44g protein, 93g carbohydrate, 13g total fat (5g saturated), 25g fibre, 58mg cholesterol.
TIP If you don’t plan to serve the chilli immediately, toss the drained spaghetti with 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil so that it doesn’t stick when you transfer it to serving plates.