FOR THE CAKE
- 450g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 450g caster sugar
- 450g self-raising fl our
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract food colouring in pink, orange, yellow, green, blueand purple (I use a combination of AmeriColor and Rolkem Duster Colours)
FOR THE ICING
- 230g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 tbsp milk
- 450g icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray three 20cm round cake tins with cooking spray for two batches. If you use two cake tins, you’ll need to bake in three batches.
2. Cream the butter and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Lightly beat the eggs. Pour slowly into the butter and caster sugar mixture. Add 1tbsp sifted flour to prevent the mixture from curdling.
4. Use a metal spoon to fold in the rest of the flour. The mixture should drop off the spoon easily when it’s ready. Add 1 tbsp water if too thick.
5. Divide into 6 bowls. Add colouring to one bowl until you get the desired shade.
6. Pour the batter into a pan. Cook for 12 minutes or until askewer comes out clean. Repeat with all the colours.
7. Remove cakes from the oven and cool on wire racks.
8. To make the icing, beat butter and icing sugar together until pale, then add milk and beat until combined.
9. Place purple layer on a plate, spread with icing. Place blue layer on top and spread with icing. Repeat with the remaining colours.
10. Ice the outside of the cake. Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until set.