- 2l good-quality vanilla ice cream
- 500ml tub raspberry sorbet
- large shop-bought flan case
- 100g raspberries
- 200g castor sugar
- 2 medium egg whites
- Soften vanilla ice cream in fridge for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, line a 2 glass (or freezer-safe) bowl with a double layer of cling film, ensuring there is excess hanging over sides of bowl. Chill in freezer.
- Use about 1,5 of softened ice cream to line base and sides of bowl evenly, leaving top 2,5cm rim of bowl empty. Use the back of a spoon to help smooth ice cream. Return bowl and remaining vanilla ice cream to freezer.
- Soften raspberry sorbet in fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove bowl from freezer and fill central hole with raspberry sorbet, levelling surface. Top with remaining ice cream to make a level vanilla layer. Cover and return bowl to freezer for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, preheat oven to 240°C (or as hot as your oven will go). Using excess cling film, pull ice cream out of bowl and invert onto flan case. Trim edges of flan to same size as base of ice cream. Place on a freezer-proof/heatproof plate/cake stand; refreeze while you make the meringue.
- Mash together raspberries and 125g of the castor sugar. Set aside. Next, beat egg whites and remaining sugar in a large bowl with a hand-held electric whisk until stiff peaks form (about 5 minutes). Add raspberry mix; beat until very thick and glossy (5 to 10 minutes).
- Spread meringue over bombe, making sure it comes right down to the plate (and that there are no gaps), swirling meringue into peaks. Immediately transfer on plate/stand to oven for 3 minutes until just browning. Serve immediately.
EACH SERVING: About 1 440kJ, 5g protein, 12g fat (7g saturated), 54g carbohydrate (51g total sugars), 1g fibre.
GET AHEAD: Prepare to the end of step 4 up to 2 weeks ahead. Complete recipe to serve.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter