- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup icing sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. With mixer on a mediumhigh speed, beat butter, granulated sugar and salt until creamy. Beat in egg yolk, then honey and extracts until smooth, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally. With mixer on low, beat in flour mixture until smooth.
- Using a 15ml cookie scoop or measuring spoon, scoop dough and roll into balls. Arrange balls on a large baking tray lined with baking paper, spacing 5cm apart. With a floured finger or the rounded end of a small spoon, make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Fill each indentation with ó tsp jam. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Let cookies cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Sift icing sugar over cooled cookies, if desired. Cookies can be stored in airtight containers in the freezer for up to 1 month. Makes about 3 dozen.
EACH COOKIE About 400kJ, 1g protein, 14g carbohydrate, 4g fat (3g saturated), 95mg sodium.
For Salted Caramel variation: Bake cookies unfilled. One cooled, fill with dulce de leche and top with flaky sea salt.
For Nut-Rolled variation: After forming balls in step 2, roll in finely chopped walnuts or pecans. Fill and bake as directed.