- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (410g) chopped tomatoes
- 800ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150g baby spinach
1. In a 4l pot, heat oil on medium until hot. Add carrots and onion, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Stir in cumin; cook for 1 minute.
2. Add tomatoes, stock, lentils, 2 cups water, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper; cover and heat to boiling on high. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach. Makes about 71⁄2 cups.
EACH SERVING About 1 115kJ, 16g protein, 41g carbohydrate, 5g total fat (1g saturated), 13g fibre, 0mg cholesterol, 645mg sodium.