- 150g self-raising flour
- 1½ tbsp cocoa powder
- 150ml buttermilk
- ¼ tsp red food-colouring paste
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g white sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp white-wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the icing
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g tub full-fat cream cheese
- 75g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- red sugar sprinkles (optional)
You’ll also need
- 12 paper muffin cases
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, then set aside. In a small jug, mix together buttermilk and foodcolouring paste and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric hand-held whisk to beat together softened butter and white sugar until pale and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla, and beat again. Alternately beat in ⅓ of the flour mixture and ⅓ of the buttermilk mixture. Continue until all the flour and buttermilk have been incorporated.
- In a small cup, quickly combine the vinegar and bicarbonate of soda, then fold through the cake mixture. Divide among the cases and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until smooth, then add the cream cheese and sift over icing sugar. Mix until combined. Quickly beat in the vanilla. Pipe or smooth icing over the cooled cupcakes and scatter over some sprinkles, if using.
Per cupcake About 1 630kJ, 29g fat (18g saturated), 30g carbohydrate (20g total sugars).
Get ahead Make to end of step 3 up to a day ahead. Once cool, keep cakes (not iced) in an airtight container. Ice cakes up to 10 hours ahead, adding sprinkles at the last minute.