- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 50g prosciutto, whole
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 6 small turnips, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 leek, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, cut into batons
- 30g Parmesan (or Grana Padano) rind (or a piece of the cheese)
- 8 cups chicken stock salt and pepper to taste
- 500g broad beans, blanched and shocked in ice water (the shell can be tough, so it can be peeled off)
- 200g fresh or frozen peas
- 16 asparagus tips
- 24 shiitake mushrooms, stems broken off and sliced thinly
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
To serve: Parmesan (or Grana Padano), finely grated, and olive oil
- Add the oil and butter to a casserole and heat through. Add the prosciutto and garlic, and cook slowly for a few minutes.
- Add the carrot, turnips, leek and celery, and sweat for 3 minutes.
- Then add the Parmesan rind, stock, salt and pepper, and simmer for about 30 minutes before removing from the heat.
- Place soup over an ice-water bath to cool quickly. (Alternatively, do step 1 the day before serving the soup.)
- Skim the excess fat off the surface.
- When you are ready to serve the soup, remove the Parmesan and prosciutto, then heat it up again. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for a few minutes.
- Slice up the prosciutto and add to the soup. Top with Parmesan shavings, add a dash of olive oil, and serve.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter