- 500g rhubarb, chopped into 5cm lengths and halved if thick
- 75g castor sugar
- 300ml double cream
- 225g condensed milk
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 75g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 100g plain flour
- 50g light brown soft sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C. To make crumble, rub butter into flour in a medium bowl with your fingers until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in sugar. Squeeze crumble together into large clumps; scatter on a baking sheet (close together). Set aside.
- Wash rhubarb and shake off excess water. Tip wet rhubarb into a roasting tin and mix in castor sugar; cover with foil. Put crumble and rhubarb into oven; bake crumble for about 15 minutes until golden and rhubarb for 20 to 25 minutes until soft and tender. Set crumble aside to cool. Tip rhubarb into a blender or food processor; whizz to a purée. Pour into a jug and set aside to cool.
- Break cooled crumble into rough 1,5cm pieces. In a large bowl, whisk cream, condensed milk and vanilla seeds until holding soft peaks.
- Whisk all but 3 tbsp of cooled rhubarb purée into cream mixture and fold through one-third of crumble. Scrape into a 21cm square tin. Drizzle over remaining rhubarb purée and marble with a skewer or knife. Scatter over remaining crumble pieces. Cover with cling film and freeze until solid.
- To serve, allow to soften at room temperature for 15 minutes, then scoop into balls.
EACH SERVING: About 2 590kJ, 6g protein, 41g fat (26g saturated), 54g carbohydrate (42g total sugars), 2g fibre.
GET AHEAD: Prepare to the end of step 4 up to a month ahead. Complete recipe to serve.