- 3 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne (ground red) pepper
- ½ tsp celery salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 racks pork ribs (900g to 1,1kg each)
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- To prepare dry rub, mix paprika, cayenne, celery salt, mustard, cumin, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1½ teaspoons salt and 2 teaspoons black pepper in a bowl. Place ribs side by side in a large roasting pan. Rub with the dry rub and cover. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Uncover ribs and add boiling water to pan. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake for 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender. Uncover ribs.
- Meanwhile, prepare grill or braai for direct grilling on medium-low. To make sauce, stir vinegar, tomato sauce, paprika and extra brown sugar in a bowl.
- Grill or braai ribs, bone-side down, for 5 minutes, brushing with sauce. Turn ribs over and grill for 5 minutes, brushing with sauce. Repeat.
Each Serving: About 2 323kJ, 39g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 41g total fat (15g saturated), 1g fibre, 160mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium.
Variation: Memphis ribs
Proceed as above, except double amount of dry rub and omit vinegar sauce. Use half of the dry rub for marinating ribs. Substitute the remaining dry rub for sauce, sprinkling over ribs while grilling or braaiing.
Each Serving: About 2 323kJ, 39g protein, 6g carbohydrate, 41g total fat (15g saturated), 2g fibre, 160mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium.