- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 2 leeks, roughly chopped
- 200g carrots, trimmed
- 250g baby potatoes, halved if large
- 500g skinless chicken breasts (keep whole)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 25g butter
- 25g cake flour, plus extra to dust
- 500ml roast chicken gravy (bought)
- 2 tbsp dried tarragon
- 500g pack puff pastry
- 1 medium egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Put veg and chicken into a large, sturdy roasting tin. Toss through oil and plenty of seasoning. Roast for 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
2. Lift chicken onto a board and put veg into a large bowl. Carefully cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the veg.
3. Put roasting tin on a medium-hot hob and melt the butter. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the gravy (scraping any sticky bits from base of tin). Return tin to heat and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Add gravy and tarragon to chicken mixture and fold through. Check the seasoning and transfer to a 2,5ℓ ovenproof serving dish.
4. Lightly flour a work surface. Roll out pastry until large enough to cover your serving dish. Brush edges of the dish with egg, lay pastry on top and crimp edges to seal. Trim to neaten (if you like). Cut a cross in centre of pastry for steam to escape. If you like, cut out shapes from pastry trimmings, stick to top of pie and brush with egg. Cook for 45 minutes or until pastry is deep golden. Serve with a salad or mashed potatoes.
EACH SERVING About 2 370kJ, 30g protein, 31g fat (14g saturated), 40g carbohydrate (7g total sugars), 5g fibre.