- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 2,5cm chunks
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
Tip: While it’s easy to buy precut broccoli florets, we like to cut them from the heads and save the stems for another meal.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine barley and stock. Cover with pierced plastic wrap; microwave on high for 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is mostly absorbed, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a 30cm frying pan, heat 1tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add chicken; sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden, stirring once. With a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to bowl.
- To frying pan, add carrot, onion and thyme; cook for 3 minutes, stirring. Add garlic; cook for 30 seconds, then add mushrooms and water, scraping up browned bits. Cook for 2 minutes; remove from heat. Stir in chicken and barley; transfer to a 3-litre baking dish.
- Toss broccoli with ⅛ teaspoon salt and remaining oil; arrange on top of barley mixture. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
Each Serving About 1 800kJ, 35g protein, 51g carbohydrate, 11g total fat (2g saturated), 13g fibre, 73mg cholesterol.