- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeño chillies, sliced
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp soya sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 whole chickens (about 2kg each)
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil; place a rack on foil. In a blender or food processor, blend spring onions, garlic, chillies, oil, lime juice, soya sauce, brown sugar, allspice, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper until smooth.
- Arrange chickens on the rack. Using your hands, gently loosen chicken skin from meat. Spoon some onion mixture into cavity of chicken and under skin; rub remaining mixture all over outside of chicken. Tuck wings behind breast and tie drumsticks together with butcher’s twine. Roast for 1 hour. Reduce oven temperature to 190°C and roast for another 15 minutes or until chicken is cooked. Serve 1 chicken, reserving remaining chicken.
EACH SERVING About 2 500kJ, 60g protein, 5g carbohydrate, 36g fat (9g saturated), 395mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter