Recipe IngredientsForgot about that head of lettuce at the bottom of your fridge? Revive most greens - iceberg lettuce, rocket, kale and even herbs - by soaking them in an ice bath for five minutes. Spin or pat dry, and they'll be good as new! Turn them into a satisfying supper with a cooked protein like rotisserie chicken or salami, roasted veggies and a sprinkle of crunchies like croutons or wasabi peas.
- 8 cups rocket
- 2 cups kale
- 1½ cups avocado
- ¾ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ¾ cup chopped cooked butternut
- ½ cup sliced apple
- ½ cup sliced sweet pepper
- 60g salami
- 1 cup croutons
- In a large bowl, combine leafy greens (8 cups rocket + 2 cups kale) and veg/fruit (1½ cups avocado + ¾ cup thinly sliced carrots + ¾ cup chopped cooked butternut + ½ cup sliced apple + ½ cup sliced sweet pepper) and protein (60g salami).
- Add just enough vinaigrette to lightly coat, tossing.
- Garnish with crunchies (1 cup croutons)
EACH SERVING About 590kJ, 4g protein, 13g carbohydrate, 8g fat (2g saturated), 3g fibre, 305mg sodium.
Whisk ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tbsp Dijon mustard, ⅛ tsp sugar and ½ tsp each salt and pepper with 3 tbsp lemon (or lime) juice, 1 tbsp vinegar (red-wine, sherry, champagne, cider or white-balsamic) and 1 finely chopped small shallot (or garlic clove or spring onion). Makes about ⅔ cup.