- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 4 tbsp cake flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 200 g Lancewood Cheddar, finely grated
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup milk (250 ml)
- Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 4 - 6 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 small potato, washed and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan and fry the onions and garlic over low heat until soft and transparent.
- Add the thyme and flour. Stir until well blended. Combine the stock and water and add little by little while stirring frequently until the mixture thickens. Add the Lancewood Cheddar and mustard and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Add the milk. Simmer, while stirring, over low heat for 5 minutes. Season to taste with freshly ground white pepper.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized saucepan. Fry potato sticks and onion rings until golden and crispy. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Serve the soup topped with a dollop of Lancewood Sour Cream, potato sticks and onion rings and a sprig of thyme.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter