- 5 rooibos tea bags
- 160ml boiling water
- 190g butter
- 365g brown sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 eggs
- 300g cake fl our
- 270g white chocolate
- 100g mixed, roasted, unsalted nuts
- 100g raw pistachio nuts
- 100ml caster sugar
- 125ml cranberries, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line a 23cm x 23cm square cake tin.
2. Steep 4 of the rooibos tea bags in 80ml boiling water.
3. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds, then add them to the butter mixture. (Save the pod for another use.) Add the eggs and beat well.
5. Mix in half of the flour, then take the rooibos tea bags out of the hot water and add the liquid to the batter. Mix well.
6. Chop 180g of the white chocolate into chocolatechips and add with the nuts to the remaining flour. Add this mixture to the batter and stir until well combined. (This will allow your chocolate and nuts to be suspended in the batter and not simply fall to the bottom of the tin.) Place in your prepared cake tin and bake for 16minutes.
7. While the blondies are baking, prepare the toppings. Roughly chop the raw pistachios. Combine the rooibos tea leaves from the remaining tea bag with the caster sugar and remaining boiling water. When the sugar has dissolved, toss in the pistachios and mix well.
8. Remove the pistachios from the sugar water and place on a silicone mat, then place in a 200°C oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until the nuts are caramelised. Allow to cool.
9. Once the blondies are cooked, allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin and cutting.
10. Melt the remaining 90g of white chocolate and drizzle over the blondies. Top with the caramelised pistachios and chopped cranberries.