- 8 large potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 large onion, coarsely grated
- 80g butter, melted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil, to fry
- Line a colander with kitchen towel. Mix the potato and onion together and place in the colander to drain off the liquid. Now place in a clean tea towel and wring out any remaining liquid.
- Place the potato and onion mixture in a bowl and stir in the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper, and stir well to coat in the butter.
- Heat a little olive oil in a frying pan and place half a cup of the potato mixture per rösti into the base of the pan. Press down with a spoon to make a little cake and fry for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until golden and crisp. Repeat this until you have used up all the rösti mixture.
- Keep the rösti warm in the oven while you cook the rest of the mixture.
- Tip: I often add herbs to my rösti and match the herbs to the meat I’m serving with them.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter