- 1 cup brown rice
- 1½ tsp canola oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 skinless centre-cut salmon fillets (140g each)
- 2 limes (1 cut into wedges)
- 3 small peppers (red, orange and yellow)
- 1 medium onion (170g to 225g)
- ½ cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 170g baby spinach
- Prepare rice according to instructions on the packet.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat ½ teaspoon of oil on medium for 1 minute. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of pepper on salmon. Add to skillet and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until opaque throughout, turning once. Transfer to serving plates. Grate peel of whole lime over fish.
- While the salmon cooks, slice the peppers into very thin pieces. Finely chop the onion.
- Drain fat from skillet. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in skillet on medium for 1 minute. Add peppers, onion, 3 tablespoons of water and teaspoon of salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes longer or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil and cook until wilted. From the lime, squeeze 1 tablespoon of juice into the mixture.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine spinach and a pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce; microwave on high for 1 minute or until spinach is wilted. Spoon next to salmon, along with the rice and pepper mixture. Serve with lime wedges.
Each serving: About 1 590kJ, 37g protein, 33g carbohydrate, 12g total fat (2g saturated), 6g fi bre, 90mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter