- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- large bunch coriander, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 200ml olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper
- 1kg rump steak, trimmed
1. Place all the ingredients except the steak in a large mixing bowl. Add seasoning and mix well. Spoon half the mixture into a small serving jug or bowl and set aside to serve with the meat once it’s cooked.
2. Place the steak in the remaining mixture and toss well to coat. Cover and set in the fridge to marinate for at least an hour or overnight, if possible.
3. Heat a griddle pan or braai to high. Remove steak from the marinade and discard the liquid. Pat dry, season and sear for 2 minutes on each side for rare, and 2½ minutes on each side for well done. Rest the meat on a serving board for 10 minutes before slicing thickly. Serve with salsa.
EACH SE RVING: (without salsa) About 760kJ, 8g fat (3g saturated), 0g carbohydrate (0g total sugars), 28g protein, 0g fibre.