- 350g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 200g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 120g cans sardines in tomato sauce
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- pinch of sugar
- large handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1. Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add spaghetti to boiling water and cook according to instructions on packaging.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a deep frying pan and gently fry onion, carrots and celery for 5 minutes until softened. Turn up heat to medium high and add mushrooms. Fry, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and there is barely any liquid in the pan. Add garlic; fry for 1 minute more.
3. Add contents of the cans of sardines, together with the canned tomatoes and sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium and bubble for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up the sardines.
4. When the pasta is cooked to your liking, drain well. Divide among 4 pasta bowls, top with the sardine Bolognese and sprinkle with the chopped parsley. Serve.
EACH SERVING: About 2 210kJ, 27g protein, 11g fat (2g saturated), 76g carbohydrate (15g total sugars), 9g fibre.