- salt and pepper
- 350g sweet Italian
- sausage, casings removed
- 1,25kg butternut
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 400g penne
- 30g Parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 fresh sage leaves, very thinly sliced
- Put water on to boil in a medium to large pot. Add 2 teaspoons of salt.
- In a 30cm frying pan cook sausage on medium for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking up sausage. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. While sausage cooks, peel and seed butternut, then cut into 1,5cm chunks.
- ln the same pan, cook onion on medium-high for 3 to 4 minutes or until golden, stirring occasionally and scraping up any browned bits. Add butternut and 1 cup of boiling water from the pot. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water in pot. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add half the Parmesan, half the sage, the butternut mixture, reserved sausage, ¼ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper to pot. Cook on medium for 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente and well coated, tossing. If mixture seems dry, toss with additional cooking water. To serve, top with remaining Parmesan and sage.
Each serving: About 2 330kJ, 23g protein, 71g carbohydrate, 22g total fat (7g saturated), 14g fibre, 44mg cholesterol, 710mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter