- 450g whole-wheat penne
- 350g sweet Italian sausage (or pork sausages, plus 1 clove crushed garlic), casings removed
- 1 medium onion (250g to 300g), finely chopped
- 600g mushrooms, sliced
- 150g baby spinach or baby rocket
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
1. Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Cook pasta according to instructions on label.
2. Meanwhile, heat a 30cm frying pan on medium-high until hot. Add sausage; cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring and breaking up meat. Add onion (and garlic, if using pork sausages); cook for 4 minutes or until browned, stirring. (If pan begins to scorch, add 1⁄4 cup water.) Stir in mushrooms; cook for 8 minutes or until softened, stirring often.
3. Drain pasta, reserving 1⁄4 cup cooking water, and return it to the pot. Add spinach or rocket, sausage mixture, reserved pasta water, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper. Toss on medium-low until well mixed.
4. Top with Parmesan and serve.
Each Serving About 2 120kJ, 27g protein, 61g carbohydrate, 22g total fat (7g saturated), 13g fibre, 37mg cholesterol.