- 5 medium eggs
- 800g sausages or herby sausage meat
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 4 tbsp piccalilli, plus extra to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Bring a pot of water to the boil, add 4 eggs and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and run under cold water. Peel (yolks will still be soft); set aside.
- Squeeze sausage meat out of skins; discard skins. Mix meat with breadcrumbs.
- Roll out pastry so it measures about 32 x 38cm. Spread piccalilli lengthways down the middle of the pastry, in a strip about 6,5cm, leaving a rough 5cm border at ends. Lay half of the sausage meat in a strip on top of the piccalilli. Press four indentations into meat, evenly spaced, and lay on boiled eggs. Use remaining sausage meat to cover eggs, and shape into a sausage to encase them.
- Lightly beat remaining egg and use to brush pastry edges. Lift short ends of pastry onto filling, then fold in pastry sides to cover sealing. Transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush with egg and score pastry a few times. Cook for 45 minutes until golden. Allow to cool before serving. EACH SERVING About 3 030kJ, 25g protein, 51g fat (21g saturated), 39g carbohydrate (5,3g total sugars), 3,3g fibre.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter