In March, Ntandoyenkosi Kunene, a 24-year-old education honours student from Mpumalanga, was crowned Miss South Africa, fulfi lling a lifelong dream to inspire little girls ‘to have big dreams and to be a beacon of hope to the hopeless’
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup milk
- butter and cheese, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 240°C.
2. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder
3. Add the cheese, butter and milk.
4. Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth (not too much).
5. Pat dough flat and cut into 6 rounds. For a bigger batch, just
double the ingredients.
6. Place scones on a prepared baking tray and sprinkle tops
with a little plain flour.
7. Bake at 240°C for about 7 minutes.
8. Serve warm with butter and cheese.