- tsp canola oil
- 500g fillet steak, thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lower-sodium soya sauce
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1⁄4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- cooked rice, for serving
1. In a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high until hot. Sprinkle steak with five-spice powder and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt; add to frying pan. Cook for 3 minutes or until just browned, stirring occasionally. With a slotted spoon, transfer steak to a medium bowl.
2. To the frying pan, add peppers, onion, 2 tablespoons water and a pinch of salt. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly softened, stirring occasionally.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, soya sauce, cornflour, 3 tablespoons water and black pepper until smooth. Add to frying pan; heat to simmering. Simmer for 1 minute or until thickened. Add beef and any accumulated juices to pan. Cook for 1 minute or until beef is heated through. Serve with rice.
EACH SERVING (without rice) About 1 450kJ, 37g protein, 15g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (5g saturated), 2g fibre, 110mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium.