- 170g grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 120g grated Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup double cream
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp packed fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1,8kg potatoes, peeled
1. Preheat oven to 230°C. Line a rimmed baking tray with foil. Grease a shallow 2-litre oval baking dish.
2. In a large bowl, combine both cheeses; transfer one-third to a small bowl and set aside. To the large bowl with cheeses, add cream, garlic, rosemary, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
3. Slice potatoes very thinly; place in bowl with cream mixture. With hands, toss until every slice is well coated. Arrange slices in baking dish, sides facing up, until entire dish is tightly packed. (Some slices may not fit.) Pour remaining cream mixture over potatoes.
4. Place baking dish on prepared baking tray. Cover dish tightly with foil; bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and sprinkle top with reserved cheeses. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and top is golden brown. Let it stand for at least 15 minutes before serving.
EACH SERVING: About 1 530kJ, 10g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 19g fat (11g saturated), 3g fibre, 475mg sodium.