- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup milk
- jam and cream or ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Line a tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar and salt.
- Add the butter and, using your fingers, rub to create a breadcrumb-like mixture.
- Add the sugar and stir in.
- Mix the egg yolk into the milk and gradually add to the mixture, bringing everything together to form a soft dough.
- Gently roll out the dough until it’s about 3cm thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out the scones.
- Brush egg white over the tops of the scones so they will become a little crispy.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the scones are golden brown. Serve with jam and cream or ice cream.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter