- 230g thin rice noodles
- 450g boneless beef sirloin steak (2,5cm thick)
- salt and pepper
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk lemon grass, yellow and pale-green part only, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp lower-sodium fish sauce
- ½ small watermelon, rind removed, cut into 1,2cm cubes (3 cups of cubes)
- ½ English cucumber, cut in half, deseeded and thinly sliced
- ½ cup packed fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- Prepare braai or grill for cooking on a medium heat.
- Prepare noodles as label directs. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again.
- Season steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place steak on hot grill or braai. Cook for 12 to 13 minutes for medium-rare or until cooked as desired, turning once. Transfer steak to cutting board; let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir shallot, lemon grass, sugar, lime juice and fish sauce until sugar dissolves. Thinly slice steak across the grain. Add to bowl, along with watermelon, cucumber and mint. Toss gently to mix.
- Divide noodles among serving plates. Top with steak mixture and juices.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter