- 3 strips bacon
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ear white mielie
- 2 ears yellow mielies
- 120g cornflour
- 2 large eggs
- 60ml water
- 1 handful chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 punnet vine tomatoes
- 150g button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 handful thyme, chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 150g sugar
- 1 chilli, deseeded finely chopped
- 1 ring feta, crumbed
- A few fried corn kernels, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Fry bacon until crispy. Set aside on a plate. Now fry onion with 1 tbsp olive oil until just starting to brown.
- Place white and yellow mielies in a large pot of water and bring to the boil. Once boiled, remove them from the pot. Keeping yellow and white separate, take corn kernels off the cobs. Mash up white corn until semi puréed.
- Sift cornflour in a large bowl; add eggs and water and beat until frothy. Add mashed white corn, yellow corn, fried onion and chives; mix.
- Wipe pan and add sunflower oil. Spoon dollops of cornflour mixture in and fry, flipping so each side is brown. Leave to drain on paper towels.
- Drizzle tomatoes with remaining olive oil and salt and roast in oven.
- Sauté the mushrooms with garlic, thyme and butter. Finely chop and add crispy bacon.
- In a small pot, add corn syrup, sugar and chili and bring to boil.
- Strain the roasted tomatoes through a sieve over the syrup pot and stir tomato juice in; boil for 2 minutes.
- Add feta to the mushroom mix. On two serving plates, in alternating layers, create two fritta and mushroom stacks. Drizzle the chili syrup over the stacks and around the plates. Top with crushed roasted tomatoes and garnish with some fried corn.
Watch MasterChef SA on MNet every Tuesday and Wednesday from 7.30pm - 8.30pm.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter