- salt and pepper
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes in tomato juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 450g beef or ostrich mince (or mixed)
- 1½ tsp fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- ½ cup reduced-fat cream
- 450g orecchiette
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Put water on to boil in a medium to large pot. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Drain tomatoes in a sieve set over a large bowl; reserve the liquid.
- ln a 30cm frying pan, heat oil on medium-high. Add meat, half of thyme and ¼ teaspoon each of salt and freshly ground lack pepper. Cook for 2 minutes or until meat is browned, breaking it up with a w ooden spoon. Add tomatoes; crush with the back of a spoon. Stir in ¾ cup of the reserved liquid; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the cream; simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, add pasta to boiling water in pot. Cook for 2 minutes less than minimum time on instructions, stirring. Add peas; cook for 1 minute. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water. Drain pasta mixture and return to pot.
- Add tomato sauce, ¼ cup of reserved liquid and remaining thyme to pot. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook on medium heat for 2 minutes or until pasta is al dente and well coated, tossing. If mixture is dry, toss with some more of the reserved cooking water.
Each serving: About 2 200kJ, 30g protein, 70g carbohydrate, 12g total fat (5g saturated), 5g fibre, 75mg cholesterol, 670mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter