- 1kg bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs, skin removed
- 4 cups lower-sodium chicken stock
- 3 large stalks celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 mild chillies, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 cans (400g each) white (cannellini) beans, drained
- 230g Gouda cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- chopped avocado
- coriander leaves
- sour cream
- Baked Tortilla Strips for garnish, optional
- To a 6 to 8l slow-cooker bowl, add chicken, stock, celery, carrots, chillies, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, beans and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or until carrots are tender.
- Remove and discard bones from chicken; shred chicken and return to slow-cooker bowl.
- Add cheese, lime juice and 1/4 tsp salt to soup in bowl, stirring until cheese melts. Serve topped with avocado, coriander, sour cream and Baked Tortilla Strips, if desired.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter