- 4 large or 8 small slices pumpernickel bread
- ¼ cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water pinch of salt
- 2 shallots, very thinly sliced
- 110g cream cheese, softened
- 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 220g sliced smoked salmon
- 30g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup watercress, trimmed
- Lightly toast bread.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, stir together vinegar, sugar, water and salt.
- Add shallots, stirring to combine. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until shallots are al dente. Drain and let cool.
- Spread cream cheese on each slice of bread. Top with tomatoes. Divide salmon, then shallots, among bread slices. Top with goat’s cheese and watercress.
EACH SERVING About 1 300kJ, 18g protein, 26g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (8g saturated), 3g fibre, 48mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter