- 1 cup whole-wheat flouror Nutty Wheat
- ½ tsp ground red(cayenne) pepper
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp
- 2% low-fat milk
- 450g beef steaks(each 2cm thick)
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp canola oil
- On a plate, combine flour, cayenne pepper and ½ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons of mixture.
- In a shallow dish, beat egg white and 2 tablespoons milk until frothy.
- Dip 1 steak in flour mixture; shake off excess, then dip in egg mixture and let excess drip off. Dip inflour mixture again until coated; transfer to plate lined with wax paper. Repeat with remaining steaks.
- In a 30cm skillet, heat ¼ cup oil on medium-high until shimmering. Shake excess flour off 1 steak; carefully add to hot oil. Cook for 2 to 4 minutes or until golden brown on both sides, turning over once. Transfer to paper towels. Reheat oil; add another steak. Repeat until all steaks are cooked. Pour off fat from skillet; discard. Wipe out skillet.
- In skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil on medium low. Whisk in reserved flour mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant, whisking. Gradually whisk in remaining 1 cup milk. Heat to boiling on medium, then cook for 2 minutes or until thickened, whisking. Whisk in ⅛ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Serve with steaks.
EACH SERVING About 1 850kJ, 37g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 25g total fat (11g saturated), 3g fibre, 124mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter