- 450g spaghetti
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 large red onion (300g to 350g), finely chopped
- 450g ricotta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 2 cups frozen peas
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat a large covered pot of salted water to boiling on high. Cook spaghetti according to instructions on label.
3. Meanwhile, in a 30cm frying pan, cook bacon on medium for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally.
4. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add onion to fat in pan. Cook for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
5. While onion cooks, in a very large bowl, whisk ricotta, eggs, milk, cayenne pepper, half of the Parmesan and 1⁄4 teaspoon salt.
6. Drain spaghetti well. Stir into ricotta mixture along with peas, bacon and onion. Spread in an even layer in a 3l shallow baking dish. Sprinkle remaining Parmesan on top.
7. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set. (Cover with foil for the first 20 minutes and leave uncovered for the last 10 to 15 minutes.)
EACH SERVING About 2 780kJ, 36g protein, 76g carbohydrate, 23g total fat (11g saturated), 6g fibre, 175mg cholesterol.