- 1 loaf (340g) egg bread, such as kitke
- 3 cups full-cream milk
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch salt
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 280g good-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- 7 large eggs
- vanilla ice cream, if desired
- Nestlé Caramel Treat for drizzling, if desired
- Grease a shallow 2,8-litre baking dish.
- Cut bread into 0,75cmthick slices. Toast lightly until golden brown. Cool completely, then cut each slice in half diagonally.
- In a 2,8-litre saucepan, whisk milk, sugar, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt and cream to blend. Heat on medium until bubbles form around edge. Add 110g of the chocolate and whisk until melted. In a large bowl, whisk eggs until blended. Continue whisking while adding hot chocolate mixture in a slow, steady stream.
- In a prepared dish, decoratively arrange slices of toast in overlapping layers to cover dish evenly. Scatter the rest of the chopped chocolate over slices of toast, then pour chocolate mixture evenly over. Cover with cling wrap. If toasted slices are not coated with chocolate mixture, gently press down to coat with mixture. Refrigerate for at least an hour or up to a day.
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Uncover bread pudding and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean. Let it cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut bread pudding into squares. Serve with ice cream or drizzle with Nestlé Caramel Treat, if desired.
EACH SERVING About 1 235kJ, 8g protein, 38g carbohydrate, 15g total fat (8g saturated), 2g fibre, 107mg cholesterol, 155mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter