- 3 cups torn or cubed stale country white bread, crusts removed
- 1.3kg ripe tomatoes, cored and coarsely chopped
- 4 serrano chillies, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 5tsp sherry vinegar
- 60g serrano ham, thinly sliced into strips
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, cover bread with enough cold water to soak. Let it stand for 15 minutes. Drain well and squeeze out excess water.
- In a food processor, blend half of tomatoes, chillies, garlic, oil and soaked bread until smooth, stopping and scraping occasionally. Transfer to an 8-cup measuring cup or other large container. Repeat blending with remaining tomatoes, chillies, garlic, bread and oil; add to measuring cup with first batch of soup. Stir in vinegar and 1 tsp salt. Cover with cling-film and refrigerate until cold (about 3 hours), or up to 1 day. Divide among serving bowls. Drizzle with additional oil, if desired. Garnish with ham and parsley.