- 1 large brinjal (450g)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 280g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 430g ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 40g Parmesan cheese, finely grated (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup tomato pasta (marinara) sauce
- 5 lasagne sheets
- 1 cup grated low-fat mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a large baking tray with foil; coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Trim brinjal; cut lengthways into 1,5cm-thick planks. Place on a baking tray; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Roast for 12 minutes or until softened and golden. Cool.
- In a bowl, mix spinach, ricotta, egg, Parmesan and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Spread 1/2 cup sauce in a 23cm by 13cm loaf pan. Top with layer of lasagne sheets, breaking to fit if necessary. Spread half of ricotta mixture over lasagne sheets, sprinkle with one-third of mozzarella and top with half of brinjal, overlapping to fit. Repeat layering, then spread 1/4 cup sauce over rest of brinjal; top with remaining sauce.
- Cover pan with foil; place on baking tray. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover; top with remaining mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling and golden. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
Each Serving About 2 430kJ, 24g protein, 57g carbohydrate, 22g total fat (13g saturated), 6g fibre, 130mg cholesterol.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter