Recipe IngredientsFOR THE CHICKEN
- 75g butter, softened
- 2 tbsp fresh tarragon leaves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 large chicken, about 1,8kg
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into wedges
- 700g baby potatoes
- 100ml white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 600ml chicken stock
- 300g baby carrots
- 200g shallots, peeled and halved if large
- 1 clove garlic
- 25g whole almonds
- small bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- 4 tbsp water
- 25g grated Parmesan
- 400g frozen peas
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In a small bowl, mix 50g of the butter with the tarragon and plenty of seasoning.
- Lift the flap of skin at the chicken’s neck and gently ease your fingers between the skin and breast meat. Push the butter under the skin to cover the whole breast. Put the lemon in the bird’s cavity and season well. Tie the legs together and sit the chicken in a large roasting tray, covering with foil. Roast for 45 minutes, basting with the juices halfway through cooking.
- Carefully remove from the oven and discard foil, then scatter fennel and potatoes around the chicken. Sprinkle vegetables with white wine, oil and plenty of seasoning, and shake the tray to coat. Roast for another hour until the chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Remove chicken from the oven and transfer to a board to rest for at least 30 minutes. Return the roasting tray to the turned-off oven to keep the vegetables warm.
- For remaining vegetables, bring chicken stock to the boil in a wide frying pan. Add the carrots and shallots and simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes until almost all the liquid has evaporated. For the parsley pesto, combine the garlic, almonds, parsley, oil, a large pinch of salt and 4 tbsp of water in a food processor, or blend with a stick blender, then stir through the cheese and set aside. Add the peas to the vegetable pan for a further 5 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat, drain off any excess liquid and stir pesto through the warm vegetables to coat. Transfer to a serving dish and keep warm.
- With a slotted spoon, lift the fennel and potatoes into another serving dish; keep warm. For the gravy, skim most of the fat off the chicken cooking liquid and discard. Pour remaining cooking liquid and chicken stock into a small pot set over a medium heat. Mix the flour with the remaining 25g butter to make a paste. Whisk into the pot, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Season to taste, strain into a serving jug and serve with the chicken and vegetables.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter