- ¾ cup strawberry or mixed-berry preserve
- 230g strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 2½ cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 170g cream cheese, softened
- 3 tbsp butter
- Icing sugar, for garnish
- In a medium bowl, microwave preserve on high for 1 minute or until melted. Stir in strawberries; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another large bowl, with mixer on a low speed, beat buttermilk, eggs, white sugar, vanilla and zest until combined. Add cream cheese in chunks. Beat until cream cheese is well distributed but still slightly lumpy. Add buttermilk mixture to bowl with dry ingredients. Stir gently until just combined. (Small lumps are okay.)
- In a 30cm nonstick frying pan, melt 1 tbsp butter on medium. When pan is hot and foam from butter subsides, add batter in quarter-cupfuls. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until bubbles begin to appear and edges are set. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes or until bottom is golden brown.
- If desired, transfer cooked crumpets to baking tray in a 110°C oven to keep warm. Cook remaining batter in batches, adding more butter as needed. Serve crumpets topped with strawberry mixture and a dusting of icing sugar.
- EACH SERVING: About 1 900kJ, 12g protein, 60g carbohydrate, 19g fat (11g saturated), 1g fibre, 500mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter