- 1,2 kg mixed berries - we used strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, redcurrants and blackcurrants - plus extra to decorate.
- 150g caster sugar
- 100ml water
- 175ml cassis
- butter, to grease
- 600g presliced brioche loaf
- 125ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- 25ml elderflower cordial
- 150g crème fraîche
- Hull and chop strawberries. Put all fruit (except the strawberries) into a pot with caster sugar and water. Heat over a medium heat, stirring from time to time, until juices start to leak out of fruit. Add strawberries; bubble for 3 minutes more.
- Empty mixture into a sieve set over a large bowl - allow to drip for 10 minutes. Taste juice in bowl - add more caster sugar if a little tart. Add cassis to juice bowl.
- Next, lightly grease sides of a 20cm round cake tin; line sides with baking paper. If using a loose-bottomed or springform tin to catch any leaking juices.
- Slice off brioche crusts. One at a time, dip brioche slices in cassis juice to soak, then lay in an even layer, once slice thick, over base of tin. (Tear slices to fit.)
- Spoon over half the fruit, in an even layer. Repeat layers of soaked brioche and fruit one more, ending with soaked brioche. Cover and chill any leftover soaking liquid. Cover cake tin with foil; chill overnight.
- Whip cream, icing sugar and cordial in a medium bowl until mixture just holds its shape. Fold in crème fraîche. Cover and chill.
- To serve, set aside roasting tin with any juices. Invert pudding, still in its tin, onto a serving plate or cake stand. Unclip/lift off outer tin; remove base carefully. Peel off baking paper. Pile on cream; decorate with extra berries. Drizzle on some of the reserved soaking liquid or leaked juices, if you like. Serve.
- EACH SERVING: (if serving 10) About 2 080kJ, 7g protein, 20g fat (12g saturated), 65g carbohydrate (40g total sugars) 5g fibre.