Recipe IngredientsThere's nothing like a hot bowl to satisfy an appetite. And if you've got produce on the verge of going bad, there's no better way to use it than in a big batch of soup - when the veggies are cooked, you won't notice they were past their prime. TIP: Freeze soup for two to three months.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups celery
- ½ cup shallots
- ¼ cup garlic
- 8 cups stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 3 cups broccoli
- 3 cups sliced spinach
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup pasta rice
- basil pesto, to taste
- In an 8ℓ pot, heat 2 tbsp olive oil on medium.
- Add ¼ tsp salt and AROMATICS (1¼ cups celery + ½ cup shallots + ¼ cup garlic).
- Cook for 8 minutes or until golden, stirring.
- Add 8 cups stock (vegetable or chicken) + HEARTY VEGGIES (3 cups broccoli). Heat to simmering on high.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add TENDER VEGGIES (3 cups sliced spinach + 1 cup sliced mushrooms) and STARCH (1 cup pasta rice).
- Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until starches and veggies are softened. Remove from heat.
- Stir in FLAVOUR BOOS TER (basil pesto) to taste.
EACH SERVING About 960kJ, 7g protein, 34g carbohydrate, 8g fat (1g saturated), 5g fibre, 360mg sodium.
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter