TIP If you can’t find sausage meat, peel skins off your favourite pork sausages.
- 300g sausage meat
- small handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 375g pack ready-rolled shortcrust pastry (in a rectangular sheet)
- 2 tbsp onion marmalade (bought)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- poppy seeds, to sprinkle
- Put sausage meat into a large bowl; stir in parsley. Unroll pastry sheet and cut lengthways into four equal strips. Thinly spread 1 tablespoon of the onion marmalade lengthways down the middle of one of the strips. Repeat with one other strip.
- Divide sausage mixture in half. Shape one half into a thin cylinder as long as the pastry strips, then position it on top of one of the marmalade strips. Repeat with remaining sausage mixture. Brush the visible pastry around the sausage cylinders with beaten egg, then top with remaining pastry strips. Press down on the edges to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper. Brush both rolls with egg and sprinkle over some poppy seeds. Cut into 4cm pieces and place on trays. Cook for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PER CANAPÉ 554kJ, 9g fat (3g saturated), 11g carbohydrate (3g total sugars).
GEH AHEAD Complete to the end of step 2 up to a day ahead. Cover and chill. Complete recipe to serve.