- 1kg sweet potatoes (about 5), washed
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup 2% low-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 340g Swiss chard
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped 450g lean beef mince
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potatoes and ¼ cup water. Cover with cling wrap, pierce, then microwave on high for 15 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, discard peels. In a large bowl, mash potatoes with milk and ⅛ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a 30cm skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil on medium-high. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Add Swiss chard and ⅛ teaspoon each salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 1 minute or until just wilted, stirring. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining teaspoon of oil. Add garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Add beef mince and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 3 minutes or until browned, breaking meat into small pieces and stirring. Reduce heat to medium and add Cajun seasoning. Cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add tomato paste and ¼ cup water. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring.
- In a 20cm by 20cm shallow baking dish, spread half of mashed sweet potatoes. Top with beef mixture, then Swiss-chard mixture. Spread remaining sweet-potato mixture on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top. Garnish with parsley.
Each serving About 1 318kJ, 24g protein, 24g carbohydrate, 11g total fat (4g saturated), 5g fibre, 60mg cholesterol, 910mg sodium. n
to our Free Good Housekeeping Newsletter