- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 350g chicken-thigh fillets, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 4 tbsp white-wine vinegar
- 230g canned pineapple pieces in natural juice, juice reserved and pineapple roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 150g pre-packaged stir-fry vegetables
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 500g cooked rice
Recipe DirectionsThis takeaway classic is so easy to make at home. We’ve used chicken thighs, but swap to breast if you prefer.
1. Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a medium pot and brown chicken for 5 to 8 minutes. Lift chicken into a bowl and set aside.
2. Add 1/2 tbsp more oil to the pot and gently fry onion for 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce, sugar, soya sauce, vinegar, pineapple juice and cornflour. Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until thick and syrupy. Add chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has a coating consistency. Stir in pineapple chunks and check seasoning.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and stir-fry vegetables for 3 minutes. Push to one side of pan and add eggs to empty side. Cook for 1 minute, until set, then break up egg with a wooden spoon and mix into the vegetables. Add rice and fry for 4 to 5 minutes, breaking rice up with a spoon or fork. Check seasoning.
4. Serve chicken with the fried rice.
EACH SERVING: About 2 140kJ, 25g protein, 19g fat (4g saturated), 60g carbohydrate (15g total sugars), 3g fibre.