- 50ml vegetable oil
- 6 pork sausages, about 400g
- 2 red onions
- 200g baby carrots
- 25g butter
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 3/4 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 stock cube
FOR THE BATTER
- 200g cake flour
- 300ml milk
- 3 medium eggs
Recipe DirectionsBy chopping up your sausages, you can make less go further.
1. Preheat oven to 220°C. To make the batter, in a large bowl whisk together flour, milk, eggs and 1/2 tsp salt until smooth. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Pour oil into a large roasting tin – roughly 23 x 30cm. Put into the oven to heat for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut each sausage into 4 pieces. Cut one of the onions into 8 wedges and trim ends off carrots, if you like.
3. Add sausage pieces, onion wedges and carrots to the hot oil, carefully turn in the oil and return to the oven for 10 minutes to brown slightly.
4. Very carefully remove roasting tin from the oven and add the batter. Return to the oven and cook for 30 minutes (without opening the door).
5. Meanwhile, finely slice remaining onion. Heat butter in a medium pot and gently fry onion, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes until completely softened. Add balsamic vinegar and mustard, turn up the heat and bubble for a few minutes to reduce. Put cornflour into a heatproof jug and gradually whisk in 250ml water. Add to onion pot with the 1/2 stock cube and cook, whisking occasionally, until thickened. (The mixture will need to boil.) Check seasoning.
6. Once batter is golden, crisp and set, remove from oven and serve with the onion gravy.
EACH SERVING: About 3 190kJ, 26g protein, 44g fat (15g saturated), 64g carbohydrate (16g total sugars), 6g fibre.